Seventeen
years ago, I took a decisive step towards a professional training in
Journalism at the Ghana Institute of Journalism with the overarching
purpose of training as a journalist to help deepen the path of democracy
that Ghana had embarked upon five years earlier.
I
successfully completed that training and entered the world of
professional practice quite oblivious of the various online tools that
professionals could utilize in self-development and career progression
among others.
But
on the job, I managed to pick up some ICT skills which were limited to
sending emails, using desktop applications like Microsoft Word and other
basic applications and using the internet for searches.
I
came to realize that social activities could be undertaken online and
thus began my first online chat using the Yahoo Messenger.
Later,
I heard about Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter but did not really
see the importance of these tools to my personal and professional
development.
I joined the bandwagon by opening accounts with each of them, but these accounts were dormant.
In
the course of my career I won two national awards and engaged in a
number of other career-enhancing activities but failed to utilize these
online tools for proper personal branding.
While
pursuing my MA studies in Mass Communications with the University of
Leicester, the ONE award was announced. I applied and the acceptance
began a new chapter for me on the use of social media tools for
personal, professional and academic ends.
For
the first time, I heard about Digital Footprint, Visual Identity,
Personal Branding and other concepts that were crucial to creating an
impressive online presence.
I
have learnt about the importance of values to success within my career
and that my personal values must co-exist peacefully with those of my
employer.
Armed with resources, I have been able to know my personality type and defined my personal brand.
For
me, the responses garnered from the personal branding survey were
interesting, revealing and sometimes surprising. Some confirmed skills
that I possessed while others brought out revelations that I had not
even thought of or considered.
With
the little done so far which I have translated into practice, I find my
network on LinkedIn expanding by the moment and more professionals
asking me to add them while they endorsed me for a number of skills.
From
a state of dormancy, my LinkedIn page is brimming with a lot of
activities as I follow companies that I would like to have an
opportunity to work with, joined professional groups that brainstorm on
professional matters and following job postings.
The
responses and activities that are taking place currently have clearly
been borne out of the application of the knowledge gained from the ONE
award which had helped me in identifying my strengths and communicating
those in a tailor-made fashion to potential employers and others.
I
now have a meaningful blog that will serve as the hub for giving out
stories that will promote activities that fall in tandem with my
personal brand.
From
the perspective of my personal brand, my focus is communicating to
potential employers/employees, a vibrant young man, with unique set of
communication expertise, knowledgeable of modern day communication
trends, with a history of setting and impressively accomplishing goals
and who is passionate to achieve within a competitive environment.
No comments:
Post a Comment